- Based at the Waurn Ponds campus of Deakin University
- Full time, CDD (2 years)
- Level B $100,837 + 17% superannuation
Founded in 1974, Deakin is a public university in Victoria with 61,000 students across five campuses: Melbourne Burwood, Geelong Waurn Ponds, Geelong Waterfront, Warrnambool and the online Cloud Campus. We are a progressive and open-minded university with the highest student satisfaction in Victoria and consistently ranked in the top 1% of universities worldwide.
The Institute of Applied Artificial Intelligence (A²I²) transforms industries and improves lives by implementing safe and effective uses of AI and exploring new frontiers in AI research. Covering all aspects of AI research and development, from basic science to translation and commercialization, we believe in the game-changing impact of AI-enhanced humans.
The researcher will contribute to the research goals, profile, and research reputation of the Deakin Institute for Applied Artificial Intelligence. A²I² tackles real-world problems using methods grounded in statistical pattern recognition, modern machine learning, deep learning, and reinforcement learning to make discoveries that benefit society and advance progress. industry. Through our research, we aim to push the boundaries of technology.
Your main responsibilities will include:
- Initiate, design, and conduct (including possibly directing) productive, high-quality research, scholarship, and creative activities that generate high-impact results to achieve the goals of the relevant research project or program
- Build a national reputation, based on a growing body of targeted work recognized for its quality, excellence and impact
- Efficiently conduct data, maintain data protocols and enter data into database. This will include carrying out preliminary data cleaning, sorting and analysis
- Engage in collaboration to develop innovative and high quality research or creative activities
- Support the acquisition of funding for research and creative activities
- Initiate, design, lead (and eventually direct) the development of industry partnerships and collaborations to enable major breakthroughs and innovative solutions for future translation into real-world impact
- Support and eventual leadership of competitive and other external funding requests, demonstrating sustained effort
- Support attraction of external funding for marketing and translation activities
- Demonstrate timely delivery of marketing and translation results
- Supervise an advanced degree by research students, ensure timely completions and productive, high-quality outcomes, and provide effective mentorship to support their professional career development and employability
- Contribute to the implementation of the University’s community engagement program, as appropriate, through projects
To be successful, you will:
- A PhD in Computer Science or equivalent qualification
- An emerging reputation in research, which has resulted in publications, conference papers, reports, or professional or technical contributions in one of 3 areas:
- Machine learning and reinforcement learning including multi-armed bandits, offline reinforcement learning, reinforcement learning with human partnerships, reinforcement learning with human-centered values such as safety , equity; or
- Machine learning and deep learning such as predictive models, generative models for iid and non-iid data, continuous learning, hit learning, off-distribution learning, adversarial deep learning and others; or
- Broad areas of machine learning including frequentist models, Bayesian models, kernel learning, mathematical optimization, statistical learning theory
- Success in obtaining external research funding
- Ability to contribute to research and administrative leadership
- Experience in supervising undergraduate and/or research graduate students
- It is desirable that you have a solid basic knowledge of mathematical optimization, linear algebra and statistics.
Please submit your resume, a short cover letter outlining the above 3 areas you are applying for and answers to the key selection criteria before June 14, 2022
For confidential discussion regarding this position, please contact Sunil Gupta via [email protected]
Deakin University job offers are conditional on the candidate being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or medically exempt and providing satisfactory proof. You can view a copy of the University’s COVID-19 vaccination procedure.
Are you ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation rests on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse work environment with opportunities for growth and career development. We believe that a progressive and thriving culture will ensure people choose to come and stay with Deakin and contribute to our continued success.
We value diversity and aim to create an inclusive environment that defends, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, as well as people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientations and genders.
We understand that our academic staff is increasingly diverse and we recognize that academic careers can be put on hold in many life circumstances. Accomplishments versus Opportunities emphasizes the quality rather than the quantity of research outputs. In your application, we strongly encourage you to comment on your achievements in relation to the opportunity.