Artificial city

Mangaluru: Normal life disrupted due to artificial flooding in the city

Daijiworld Media Network – Mangaluru (MS)

Mangaluru, July 31: Normal life has been disrupted in the city for the past two days due to rain that has hit for four to five hours at a stretch. Hundreds of homes and shops were flooded.

Barely a month ago, the inhabitants of the city suffered greatly due to artificial flooding and on Saturday they had to suffer the same ordeal again.

The rain that started around 2 a.m. Saturday continued until 7 a.m. and wreaked havoc. Homes, shops and apartments in lower areas of the city bore the brunt of the artificial flooding.

Water flowed four to five feet above the road at Kottara Chowki, Pumpwell and Padil. The heavyweights moved with difficulty. Cars, autorickshaws and two-wheelers had to take alternate routes. People who had to go to the office in the morning were embarrassed.

Residents and traders in Padil, Pumwell, Kadri temple Road, Malemar, Kottara Chowki, Kodikal, Kodialguthu Road, Kodialguthu east, Kudroli, Dongarakeri and Pandeshwar have faced hard times.

In the second main from Subhashnagar to Dongarakeri, water up to the knees has accumulated. The basement shops and hotels of PVS, Bunts Hostel and Kankanady, which are usually unaffected by heavy rains, were also completely submerged in water. Valuable electronics and other belongings were destroyed by the floods.

The central station has turned into an island with water all around. Vehicles could not be parked in the area. The road to Bajal from Ekkuru was completely submerged in water. Residents used an ambulance to transport people from one end to the other. Household goods were damaged in Kallapu and Patla of Ullal as water gushed inside houses.

Over 100mm of downpour was reported in areas around Mangaluru including Bantwal taluk in four hours. Harekala recorded the highest rainfall with 174mm. 19 villages in Mangaluru, Bantwal and Puttur received more than 10 cm of rain.

The intensity of the rain was so heavy in the morning that it looked like it would rain all day. However, around 7 a.m., the rain suddenly stopped, and by 9 a.m., a scorching sun was there over the whole city. The temperature was high until evening. But people whose homes and shops have been flooded have struggled to put things in place.