MANILA — The Department of Health (DOH) has denied reports of an “artificial increase” in COVID-19 cases days before the May 9 election.
The DOH, in a statement Saturday, said the false claim was being used to discredit a political candidate and blame the agency for an increase in COVID infections.
“The DOH … uses other metrics such as health care utilization to assess and recommend to higher authorities whether an escalation or de-escalation of alert levels is warranted,” the statement said.
“Instead of spreading unverified information, we can all do our part to prevent further transmission and avoid further restrictions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic,” he added.
Earlier today, the DPH said there was little chance of any closures being implemented after the May 9 election, as some fear a possible surge of COVID-19 due to election-related activities. .
The Philippines reported 184 new COVID cases on Friday, less than 200 cases for the 4th consecutive day, said Edson Guido, head of ABS-CBN Data Analytics.
Friday’s 8,389 active COVID-19 cases were the lowest since May 11, 2020, he added.
The DOH previously warned that Metro Manila could see up to 446,000 COVID-19 cases by mid-May if people violate health protocols, amid election-related activity.